This is the time of year when most people, even those eating a healthy diet stray a little … or a lot … when it comes to eating …
- too much food
- too much sugar
- too much packaged food
- too much party food
- too much alcohol
What can you do to make this year different, and still enjoy holiday eating and partying without putting on the pounds, shooting your blood sugar levels sky high and over taxing your liver?
Here are some hints that can make your holiday healthier and help you to feel better through all the festivities…
- Plan healthy holiday foods.
- Fresh whole foods are always best, preferably organic. If you can’t buy organic, choose those foods that have low pesticide residue.
- Check out these resources for healthy cooking hints. You’ll find links for salads, entrees, snacks and desserts.
- There are a lot of healthy recipes on this Healthy Eating Advisor Blog.
- Here are a couple videos with ideas for a healthy breakfast and healthy ice cream.
- If you’re going to buy already prepared food, why not get it from your local natural foods market instead of a conventional grocery store.
Remember, you can get through this holiday season without putting on the pounds. Just follow these tips …
- When you eat, eat consciously. Enjoy your food. Really taste it. Savor it. Then stop before you’re full.
- If you know you’re going to be eating dessert, hopefuly a healthy dessert, leave room for it. Or choose to have it a couple hours after your meal.
- Have nuts, seeds and fruit for snacks.
- If you’re going to have chocolate, make sure it’s healthy, organic dark chocolate.
- Get a head start on healthy eating for the new year. Sign up for a free healthy eating e-class. You’ll get 5 brief e-mails with step by step lessons on what to do to get you on the healthy eating track, followed by a series of e-mails with additional support from recipes, recommended products and more healthy eating tips.
Have a happy and healthy holiday season.